Thursday, December 8, 2016

Wine Review: Cecchi Chianti Classico 2014

Cecci Chianti Classico 2014

The Cecchi family got into the winemaking business in 1893 with Luigi Cecchi, and the first bottles of Cecchi labeled wines were produced in the early 1900's. However, the land that their winery and estate vineyards are on has been making wine for over a thousand years. Today it's run by Andrea and Cesare Cecchi, and they pride themselves on their practice of sustainability.

My favorite thing about Cecchi actually isn't their wines, although they're good too. Cecchi has among the coolest social media accounts for wineries.They're constantly posting stuff on their Facebook and Instagram and it's almost always awesome. From vintage photos, gorgeous vineyards, behind the scenes looks at tastings and harvests, delicious food, interesting articles, and etc. They're also HIGHLY interactive and helpful with their followers. Cecchi is on top of the social media game.

Today I'm reviewing their 2014 Chianti Classico. It's 90% Sangiovese and I'm assuming the other 10% is Canaiolo and/or Cabernet Sauvignon. It saw 12 months in oak, two months bottle aging, and has an ABV of 13%.

Ed Van Fleet, Grand Eagle
I'm feeling rather calm and docile tonight so my music selection is Ed Van Fleet's Grand Eagle. I picked up this soothing instrumental album when I was ten years old and I listened to it a lot when I wasn't in the mood for the usual loud devil music.

Aaaah... I can feel the warming peace within myself. It's almost as pleasant as releasing the fuming rage that's also within myself. Almost. Now let us partake in vino.

I pour it into a glass and suddenly I sense a disturbance coming from the kitchen into the living room. The wife has chosen to blow out a Yankee Candle that was on the counter and now the smell has migrated all the way to my desk.

This has delayed things. Now I have to wait until the surrounding atmosphere is back to normal. Buuuuut... the color of the wine is a dark ruby red and has your typical Chianti clarity. So there's that.

After letting the olfactory invader make its exit, I can now proceed. There's a smokiness at the front of the nose that makes me think of a briarpatch on fire. The Yankee Candle was not briarpatch scented. There's also aromas of dried cherries, strawberry jam and orange peel.

In the mouth it's medium bodied with sharp acidity and soft tannin. It's been awhile since I've had a Sangiovese with a mouthfeel this silky. There's flavors of tart cherries, strawberries and exotic spices. It finishes with strawberries and very dry.

Overall it's a nice Chianti Classico. The suggested retail price of $22 brings it up to some threatening competition, though. But what it does have in its favor that the competition does not is that it's very widely distributed. This wine is a safe play for your money if you're in a pinch or if you see it on a wine list, and I've been in many situations where that is very much a good thing. 

Price: $22
Rating: 3/5 = Satisfying (what does that mean?)

The bottle used was supplied free of charge for the purpose of this review. To have your wine reviewed follow this link.


Post a Comment


ABriefHistoryOf Aglianico Airen Albarino Aleatico Apothic Argentina Australia Austria Barbera beer Best Of biodynamic blend blog Bonarda book Bordeaux Brachetto brandy Bulgaria Cabernet Franc Cabernet Sauvignon California Campania Canada cans Cape Cod Carignan Carmenere Cava certification Chablis Champagne Chardonnay cheese Chenin Blanc Chianti Chile Cinsault cocktails Cognac Colombard Counoise CSW dessert wine Distill Wars Dona Blanco Falanghina Fiano formulas France Furmint Gamay Garganega Germany gin Godello Graciano Greece Grenache Grenache Blanc Gros Manseng Gruner Veltliner GSM guest blog Heroes history how to Hungary Israel Italy Kansas kosher Lambrusco Languedoc-Roussillon Loire love letter Madeira Malbec Marsanne Massachusetts Mavrud Mazuelo Mencia Meritage Merlot Mexico mixology Montepulciano Moscato Mourvédre Muscat mythology Nebbiolo New York New Zealand Norello Mascalese Oregon organic organicc original meme Palestine Pecorino Petit Verdot Petite Sirah Petite Verdot photo gallery phylloxera Picpoul Piedmont Pinot Blanc Pinot Gris/Grigio Pinot Meunier Pinot Noir Pinotage Port Portugal product Prosecco quickie quote recipe retail problems review Rhone Ribera del Duero Riesling Rioja rose Roussanne Rueda rum Sagrantino Sangiovese Sangria Sauvignon Blanc science Sekt Seyval Blanc Sherry South Africa Spain Sparkling spirits sponsored storage study sulfites sustainable SWE Syrah Tannat Tempranillo Tequila Texas Torrontes Traminer Turkey Tuscany Umbria USA Valpolicella Verdejo Verdicchio Vermentino Vernacca Vidal Blanc video Vinho Verde Viognier Virginia Viura vodka Washington State whiskey White zinfandel wine wine club Wine Pick Zinfandel Zweigelt

Trending Posts