Thursday, November 22, 2018

Wine Review: Suhru Dry Riesling 2016

Suhru Dry Riesling 2016

Suhru was founded in 2008 by Russell and Susan Hearn. Russell is also the winemaker of Lieb Cellars, whose wines I've have had the pleasure of reviewing many many times and thoroughly enjoy. During his wine career, Russell worked his way around the globe: New Zealand, Burgundy, California, Massachusetts and, in 1990, Virginia. Hearing about the wonderful Chardonnay being made on Long Island, he took the trip there with other winemakers to see what's doin'. And he's been there ever since.

This is the winery that Susan and Russell always dreamed they would have. Suhru's goal is to source excellent fruit from the regions in New York where each variety grows best, creating vibrant, balanced, and approachable wines for all to enjoy.

This is wine #4 of 6 that I'm reviewing by Suhru. I already reviewed the 2017 Pinot Grigio2013 Ember, 2017 Sauvignon Blanc, and now I'm on to the 2016 Dry Riesling before I move on to the 2013 Shiraz and NV Brut. To see all of them, or the ones that have been published already, just check out the month on the blog.

The 2016 Dry Riesling is 98% Riesling from Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes, while the remaining 2% is Gewürztraminer from the North Fork of Long Island. It was fermented and aged in stainless steel, did not see malolactic fermentation or oak aging, and has an ABV of 13%..

The color of the wine is light yellow. On the nose there's aromas or clementine, peach, white flowers, and a drop of petrol. On the palate it's medium bodied with a touch of oiliness on the mouthfeel and a bright, but not tart, acidity. There's flavors of apricot, peach, aaaand that's about it. It finishes with peach and a little bit of an ethanol flavor.

I expected more on the palate from this Riesling. I'm not saying it's bland but it's lacking that oomph and character that I want out of my Rieslings. I will say this though: I'd quaff the shit out of this while stuffing my face full of cheese and crackers.

Happy Thanksgiving, America!

QUALITY VS PRICE RATING
Price: $18
Rating: 2/5 = Not Impressive (what does that mean?)

The bottle used was supplied free of charge for the purpose of this unpaid review. To have your wine reviewed follow this link.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

*SPONSORED* ABriefHistoryOf Abruzzo Agiorgitiko Aglianico Airen Albarino Aleatico Alsace Apothic Argentina Armagnac Australia Austria Baco Barbera Beaujolais beer Best Of biodynamic blend blog Bogati Bonarda book Bordeaux Brachetto brandy Bulgaria Cabernet Franc Cabernet Sauvignon California Campania Canada cans Cape Cod Carignan Carmenere Cava certification Chablis Chalk Hill Champagne Chardonnay cheese Chenin Blanc Chianti Chile China Cinsault cocktails Cognac Colombard Columbia Valley Cotes-du-Rhone Counoise Croatia CSW Dane Cellars dessert wine Distill Wars Dona Blanco Dunnigan Hills Falanghina February Fiano Folle Blanche formulas France Franciacorta Frankovka Furmint Galicia Galilee Gamay Garganega Gascony Germany gin Glera Godello Graciano Greece Grenache Grenache Blanc Gros Manseng Gruner Veltliner GSM guest blog Heroes history how to Hungary Israel Italy Japan Jerez Kansas kosher Lambrusco Languedoc-Roussillon Left Coast Lisboa Livermore Lodi Loire love letter Macon Madeira Malbec Malvasia Marsanne Marselan Massachusetts Matchbook Mavrud Mazuelo Melnik Mencia Mendocino Mendoza Meritage Merlot Mexico Michigan mixology Montepulciano Moscato Mosel Mourvédre Muscat mythology Napa Navarra Nebbiolo Nero d'Avola New York New Zealand news Norello Mascalese Oregon organic original meme pairings Palestine Pecorino Petit Verdot Petite Sirah Petite Verdot photo gallery phylloxera Picpoul Piedmont Pinot Blanc Pinot Gris/Grigio Pinot Meunier Pinot Noir Pinotage Pliny Port Portugal Press Release Primitivo product Prosecco Provence quickie quote rakia recipe retail problems Retsina review Rheingau Rhone Ribera del Duero Riesling Rioja Rondinella rose Roussanne Rueda rum Russian River Sagrantino Sake Sangiovese Sangria Sauvignon Blanc science Sekt Seyval Blanc Sherry Sonoma South Africa Spain spark Sparkling spirits storage study sulfites sustainable SWE Syrah Tannat Tempranillo Tequila Texas Tinta Amarela Torrontes Touriga Nacional Traminer Trebbiano Turkey Tuscany Ugni Blanc Umbria USA Valdiguié Valpolicella Veneto Verdejo Verdicchio Vermentino Vermouth Vernacca Vidal Blanc video Vinho Verde Viognier Virginia Viura vodka Washington State whiskey White zinfandel Willamette wine Wine Bloggers Off-Topic wine club Wine Pick Zinfandel Zweigelt