Thursday, October 17, 2019

Wine Review: CVNE Viña Real Rioja Crianza 2016


Even though October is #MerlotMe month, and I have plenty of Merlot being featured as quickies, Spain dominates the full reviews on the website this month. I started with Cune Rioja Crianza 2016, then René Barbier's Com Tu 2016, now I'm on Vińa Real Crianza 2016, and I'll finish up with Vińa Lanciano Rioja Reserva 2102.

The Viña Real brand was established in 1920 by CVNE (pronounced coo-nay) and also calls itself Cune, which was a label typo that stuck. Viña Real is out of the Rioja Alavesa region of Rioja, as opposed to CVNE's main label out of Rioja Alta. The name of the parent winery is actually an acronym that stands for Compañia Vinicola del Norte de España. It was founded in 1879 in Haro, Rioja and has been a leader in progressive winemaking and modernization since its inception.

The 2016 Crianza is 90% Tempranillo with the remaining 10% containing Garnacha and Mazeulo, all from the Rioja Alavesa region of Rioja. After being destemmed, the grapes are placed into stainless steel tanks to ferment as is for ten to twelve days. Once made into wine it's allowed malolactic fermentation in French oak barrels, then aged in American oak barrels for thirteen to fourteen months while being racked every five to six months. The wine has a final ABV of 13.5%.

The color of the wine is ruby red. On the nose there's aromas of big cherries and strawberries with old dried sweat, vanilla, and oak. On the palate it's light to medium bodied with a bit of a watery and flat mouthfeel, tight tannins, low acidity, hot ethanol, and an overall out of sync character. There's flavors of cherries and oak and a little bit of dark chocolate, but really it's just bleh like the 2013 vintage that I reviewed in 2017.

I don't want things to be bleh. I hate writing a bleh review. I hate it. Yet as much as CVNE is a wonderful winery and as beautiful of a label that they put on Viña Real... it's bleh.

QUALITY VS PRICE RATING
Price: $16
Rating: 2/5 = Not Impressive (what does that mean?)

The bottle used was supplied free of charge for the purpose of this unpaid review. To have your wine reviewed follow this link.


Newer Posts Older Posts Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

*SPONSORED* ABriefHistoryOf Abruzzo Agiorgitiko Aglianico Airen Albarino Aleatico Alsace Apothic Argentina Armagnac Australia Austria Baco Barbera Barrossa Valley Beaujolais beer Best Of biodynamic blend blog Bogati Bonarda book Bordeaux Brachetto brandy Bulgaria Burgundy Cabernet Franc Cabernet Sauvignon Cahors California Campania Canada Canaiolo. cans Cape Cod Carignan Cariñena Carmenere Cava certification Chablis Chalk Hill Champagne Chardonnay cheese Chenin Blanc Chianti Chile China Cinsault cocktails Cognac Colombard Columbia Valley Cotes-du-Rhone Counoise Croatia CSW Dane Cellars dessert wine Distill Wars Dona Blanco Dry Creek Dunnigan Hills Falanghina February Fer Servadou Fiano Folle Blanche formulas France Franciacorta Frankovka Furmint Galicia Galilee Gamay Garganega Gascony Germany gin Glera Godello Graciano Greece Grenache Grenache Blanc Gros Manseng Gruner Veltliner GSM guest blog Heroes history how to Hungary Israel Italy Japan Jerez Kansas kosher Lambrusco Languedoc-Roussillon Left Coast Leyda Valley Lisboa Livermore Lodi Loire love letter Macon Madeira Madiran Malbec Malvasia Marcillac Marsanne Marselan Massachusetts Matchbook Mavrud Mazuelo McLaren Vale Melnik Mencia Mendocino Mendoza Meritage Merlot Mexico Michigan mixology Monbazillac Monstant Montecucco Montepulciano Moscato Mosel Mourvédre Muscadelle Muscat mythology Napa Navarra Nebbiolo Nero d'Avola New York New Zealand news Norello Mascalese Oregon organic original meme pairings Palestine Pecorino Petit Verdot Petite Sirah Petite Verdot photo gallery phylloxera Picpoul Piedmont Pinot Blanc Pinot Gris/Grigio Pinot Meunier Pinot Noir Pinotage Pliny Port Portugal Press Release Primitivo product Prosecco Provence quickie quote rakia recipe retail problems Retsina review Rheingau Rhone Ribera del Duero Riesling Rioja Rondinella rose Roussanne Rueda rum Russian River Sagrantino Sake Sangiovese Sangria Sauvignon Blanc science Sekt Semillon Seyval Blanc Sherry Sonoma South Africa South Australia Spain spark Sparkling spirits storage study sulfites sustainable SWE Syrah Tannat Tempranillo Tequila Texas Tinta Amarela Torrontes Touriga Nacional Traminer Trebbiano Turkey Tuscany Ugni Blanc Umbria USA Valdiguié Valpolicella Veneto Verdejo Verdicchio Vermentino Vermouth Vernacca Vidal Blanc video Vinho Verde Viognier Virginia Viura vodka Walla Walla Washington State whiskey White zinfandel Willamette wine Wine Bloggers Off-Topic wine club Wine Pick Zinfandel Zweigelt